Gwydir Shire is only one of a couple in the region to re-elect the current Mayor and Deputy in the Mayoral elections. Mayor, John Coulton and his Deputy, Catherine Egan were both re-elected without any opposition at last Thursday’s Council meeting.
Cr. Coulton was nominated by Cr. Egan and seconded by Cr. Geoff Smith. After his election, Cr. Coulton thanked the other Councillors for the trust they showed in him. Council also resolved to elect a Deputy Mayor. Cr. Egan was nominated by Cr. Coulton, and her nomination was seconded by Cr. Tiffany Galvin. She also thanked the other Councillors for the vote of confidence.
The only other Council in the immediate region which re-elected their Mayor and Deputy was Inverell. The Mayors of Moree, Narrabri, Gunnedah and Liverpool Plains all survived challenges. Tamworth Mayor was re-elected unopposed, but that Council has a new Deputy.
Glen Innes Severn saw a new Mayor and Deputy elected, with former Mayor, Steve Toms ousted from the job. It appears to be a troubled Council indeed.
Councillors then allocated positions on a number of Council committees. They are:
- Organisational Strategy and Policy: All Councillors
- Community Services and Planning: All Councillors
- Public Infrastructure: All Councillors
- Heavy Plant: Crs. Smith, Dick, D. Coulton and J. Coulton
- Joint Weight of Loads Committee: Crs. Smith and D. Coulton.
- Central Northern Regional Library Committee: Crs. Egan and Galvin (Alternate).
- Fossicker’s Way Promotion Committee: Crs. Egan and Galvin.
- Local RTA Traffic Committee: Crs. Smith (alternate) Dick, D. Coulton, J. Coulton.
- Warialda Chamber of Commerce: Crs. Moore and J. Coulton.
- Bingara and District Vision 2020: Cr. Egan.
- Bush Fire Liaison (Service Level Agreement) Committee: Crs. Smith, Dick and D. Coulton.
- Local Emergency Management Committee: Crs. Young, Dixon, D. Coulton (chair).