Bingara Orange Festival
In 1998 it was decided to hold an annual festival to emphasise the importance of Bingara’s orange trees whilst celebrating Bingara’s cultural heritage. The Bingara Orange Festival provides an entertaining week of festivities for the community, surrounding district and visitors.
The festival features street markets, street parades, pageants, sporting and cultural activities and has grown enormously in stature since its inception. Now considered one of the major events on the Bingara community calendar, the event attracts crowds in excess of 1500.
Each year the bar is raised even higher, with the inclusion of new initiatives and each year a new theme is announced, keeping the festival fresh, innovative and attractive year after year. However, one thing that never changes, is the memory of those who have fallen and for whom the orange trees represent.
2017 Bingara Regional Australia Bank Orange Festival
This year’s annual Bingara Regional Australia Bank Orange Festival will have festival goers dancing in the street as the event takes on a “Happy Days” theme, celebrating the nostalgia and music of the 50’s and 60’s.
For over half a century the community of Bingara has celebrated its Orange Trees. Planted as a living memorial to Bingara’s fallen in World Wars I and II, the trees and the annual harvesting of the fruit by the local school children (the orange police) happens on only one day of the year.
The Festival which started in 1998 has now become an important part of Bingara’s Orange Tree Memorial tradition. This year’s festival is a must see for those who love rock n roll and the 50’s and 60s era, with screenings of Happy Days in the historic Roxy Theatre, retro stalls and fashion parade, car displays, rock n roll music, dance demonstrations and kids entertainment.
This year’s Orange Picking will take place on Friday 30th June with the festival the following day on Saturday 1st July.
Please note this program may vary, final program released two weeks prior to the festival.
Brush up your dance moves in preparation for this year’s Bingara Orange Festival. Rock n Roll Dance classes will be held on Thursday nights three weeks prior to the Orange Festival at the Roxy Theatre – Thursday 15th, 22nd and 29th June – 5.30pm to 7.30pm – $10pp, per session. To book please contact the Bingara Visitor Information Centre on 6724 0066.
Friday 30th June
- 12.00pm The Annual Bingara Orange Picking – in front of the Bingara RSL Club, Finch St.
- 6.00pm Step back in time, put your best dancing shoes on and get ready to sing out loud. Take the rare opportunity to see GREASE up on the big screen for this one night only event. Hot Dogs, Ice Cream Sodas, milkshakes and other hot food available to purchase at the candy bar. The Roxy Theatre, 72 Maitland St. 6.00pm. Movie $10 or Movie Meal Deal $15.
Saturday 1st July
This year’s festival will feature stalls, kid’s entertainment, classic car displays, loads of live entertainment and action on the main stage, and regular screenings of Happy Days in the historic Roxy Theatre.
- 10.00am Festival Open and Willoughby Exchange Presentations
- 10.15am The Moree District Band
- 10.45am Dance demonstrations by Marcia and the Rock n Roll Dancers
- 11.00am Darlin and the Midnight Delights Band
- 11.30am Retro fashion display accompanied by Darlin and the Midnight Delights Band
- 11.45am Hot Dog eating competition
- 12.00pm The Pretty Amazing Jonno – Kids Entertainer
- 12.30pm School performances by the Bingara Preschool, Bingara Central School and Bingara Physical Culture
- 12.50pm The Moree District Band
- 1.15pm Dance demonstrations by Marcia and the Rock n Roll Dancers
- 1.30pm Darlin and the Midnight Delights Band
- 2.00pm Orange Festival Grand Parade
- 2.30pm Announcement of the Parade winner and entertainment by Darling and the Midnight delights
- 3.00pm Festival Close
Throughout the day the historic Roxy theatre will be screening episodes of Happy Days
Other events happening in Bingara on the Orange Festival Weekend
Experience a good old game of country football with the action pack triple header! Junior league in the morning, Senior League at midday and Rugby in the afternoon. Come along and cheer on Bingara!
- Bingara Minor League 9am to 12.30pm
- Bingara Senior League (Bingara Bullets vs Bundarra) 2.30pm
- Gwydir River Rats (Rats vs Blues) 4.00pm
Saturday Evening Entertainment in Bingara
- The Bingara Sporting Club
Bingara Bullets Senior League after party and live entertainment with DJ Cypha
- The Sportsman’s Hotel
Rugby after party and entertainment by DJ Full Noise
For more information on the Regional Australia Bank Bingara Orange Festival or any of the associated events please contact the Bingara Visitor Information Centre on 02 6724 0066.
Gwydir Shire Council
Locked Bag 5
BINGARA NSW 2404
phone: 02 6724 2000 fax: 02 6724 1771