$12,000 for new stable block at Bingara Showground

January 30, 2015

Bingara’s Showground Trust is looking forward to getting on with the job of constructing a new horse stable block after receiving a $12,000 grant from the NSW Government’s Public Reserves Management Fund (PRMF), Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall announced today.

Mr Marshall was in Bingara last week and met with Trust members to deliver the good news.

Member for Northern Tablelands Mr Adam Marshall with Gwydir Shire Council Deputy Mayor Catherine Egan, Gwydir Shire Council General Manager, Max Eastcott and Bingara Show Society president David Young.
Member for Northern Tablelands Mr Adam Marshall with Gwydir Shire Council Deputy Mayor Catherine Egan, Gwydir Shire Council General Manager, Max Eastcott and Bingara Show Society president David Young.

Mr Marshall said he was pleased the region was able to secure more than $400,000 in this round of the PRMF, which was aimed at the development, maintenance and improvement of NSW Crown Land reserves.

“Construction of a new stable block has become a priority for the Trust as it runs short on stables during busy events and wants to have scope to host larger equine activities.
“I was happy to support their application as they are very hard working committee and very determined to continue improving the facilities at the showground.”

Last year the Trust was successful in obtaining $13,000 from a supplementary round of the PRMF to replace a section of the old ring fencing at the grounds.

“The new fencing looks terrific and is a real credit to the Trust, which used the funding to purchase the materials and a great deal of in-kind support to finish the job,” Mr Marshall said.

Gwydir Shire Council Mayor and Trust member John Coulton said the Trust welcomed the funding and thanked Mr Marshall for his support and input.

“We’re pleased now to be able to get on with this job; once we get the quotes sorted our volunteers will get started,” Cr Coulton said.

“Not only do we have times when we require more stables, but some of our existing ones aren’t up to the standard we would like so this new block will be a huge boost for the grounds and our ability to host more and larger horse events here.”

Mr Marshall said the NSW Government was committed to rebuilding regional infrastructure, as demonstrated through last year’s record PRMF spend.

“I am delighted this funding is coming Bingara’s way, which will continue to support improvements to this great little showground,” he said.

“Showgrounds are wonderful assets valued by the local community and their ongoing success is vital to local sports and activities, business and tourism in regional towns – this is particularly true of Bingara.”