Parents, grandparents and friends packed into the Roxy Theatre prior to Christmas for the annual Bingara Central School Presentation night.
Guest speaker on the night was Petty Officer Daniel Abe, who attended Bingara Central School for three years in the 1990s, who spoke about his career in the Navy.
Dux of the School for 2011, Gabbie Brennan, gave an entertaining account of the transition from a small, country school to University in a city.
During the evening, the crowd was entertained by the Central School band, the Stage 2 Choir and Ally Dixon playing clarinet.
In their addresses, both Mr. Vale and Mr. Bob Johnston spoke passionately about the drift of students to other schools. Mr. Vale compared attending school “out of town” with shopping out of town. Just as shopping out of town harms the economy of the town, he said, so does attending schools in neighbouring towns affect the Bingara Central School in the long term.
Reports of Mr Vale’s, Petty Officer Abe’s and Ms. Brennan’s speeches on Presentation night will be included in the next Advocate on January 23.
At the end of the evening, SRC representatives for the coming year were announced. They are:
- Primary; Madison Iskov, Tash Cooper (Captain), Clayton Southwell (Vice Captain), Angie Frewen and Liam Mack.
- Year 7; Brock Miller, Matthew Callaway.
- Year 8; Jo McGowan, Lachlan Bulter and Dylan Butler.
- Year 9; Maddie Coombes, Crystal Cooper, Charlotte Odell.
- Year 10; Maryellen Honeysett.
- Year 11; Kelsey Cooper, Gabbie Rampling and Lucie Boyle.
- Year 12; Rowena Ditton, Ally Dixon (Captain) and Ellen Odell (Vice Captain).
Central School Principal, Mark Vale, School Captain Ally Dixon, Vice Captain Ellen Odell, Member for Parkes, Mark Coulton, Gwydir Shire Mayor, John Coulton, and in front, Primary Captain, Tash Cooper, and vice Captain, Clayton Southwell.
Mr. Vale with Primary Dux for 2012, Emma McDouall, and 2011 Dux of the School, Gabbie Brennan, who addressed the presentation gathering on Monday night.