Australia Day 2020
The year 2020 is fast approaching and with it Australia Day, Sunday January 26; Bingara Special Events Committee and Warialda Rotary Club are calling for nominations for the 2019 Australia Day Awards.
- • Do you know someone who is a volunteer and has done countless volunteer hours for a service organisation, a local sporting or community group or an educational facility?
- • Someone whose work mainly benefits the community or the individual?
- • Do you know someone who has an outstanding achievement in their work or
- • studies? • Are they someone who goes beyond normal employment duties?
- • Did they overcome obstacles or make sacrifices
- • Do they demonstrate leadership, innovation and creativity?
- • Were their achievements the work of an individual or a team?
- • What are their future goals and the likely impact of their work?
- • Would they have the availability and commitment to promote community pride and active citizenship throughout the year of the recipient’s appointment?
- • Have they received assistance from council, government or other grants?
In Bingara, the awards are open in the following categories: Citizen of the Year (26 years and over on January 26th, 2020), Young Citizen of the Year (16 years to 25 years on January 26th, 2020), Community Event of the year, and Environmental Citizen of the Year, which is a new category initiated by the Australia Day Council of NSW.
In Warialda, the awards are open in the following categories: Warialda Junior Citizen of the Year, Event of the Year, Warialda Senior Citizen of the Year and Warialda Citizen of the Year.
The awards are presented at official ceremonies throughout New South Wales on Australia Day, Sunday 26 January 2020. The local Bingara ceremony will again be held in the Roxy Theatre whilst in Warialda, the ceremony will again be held at the Warialda Showground.
“The awards allow us to recognise the contributions that many individuals make to the local community each year,” said Bingara Special Events Committee member, Jen Mead.
The new category this year, Environmental Citizen of the Year Award thanks to the Return and Earn partnership. The Australia Day Council of NSW is encouraging all NSW local councils to include this award category in their Citizen of the Year Awards and acknowledge their Environmental Champions.
Nominees for this category may be recognized for their work in preserving the environment, using the Return and Earn scheme to fundraise for a meaningful cause or by fostering partnerships that achieve litter reduction and recycling outcomes. Individuals and organisations including schools, local businesses and community groups are eligible to receive this award and councils may select up to four winners for this award category.
After Australia Day, local winners of this award can go in the running for the state winner title – an opportunity to further showcase their extraordinary efforts for your community.
Australia Day Nomination forms and guidelines are available from Gwydir Shire Council – Bingara Office or Bingara Visitor Information Centre. All completed Nominations must be received either by post to Gwydir Shire Council, Locked Bag 5, Bingara, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling into the Bingara Council Office before close of business (4.00 pm) Friday January 17, 2020.
For Warialda nominations, please send via post to Warialda Rotary Club, PO Box 17 Warialda NSW 2402 by Wednesday 18 December, 2019.