I have discovered some detailed information on Mr W. R. Campbell from an article in The Town and Country Journal of 24th May 1890 as follows;
“The Hon. William Robert Campbell, M.L.C., is one of four gentlemen recently appointed to the Legislative Council. Mr. Campbell was born in Sydney in 1838, and is the son of the late Robert Campbell, who was Colonial Treasurer in the Cowper Ministry, and one of the family well known as the proprietors of Campbell’s Wharf.
He was educated at King’s School, Parramatta, under the Rev. Robert Forrest, and subsequently resided with his father in Sydney until 1860. In that year he went to Europe, and travelled that continent until 1863, when he returned to Sydney. In 1868 he entered the Legislative Assembly to represent West Maitland.
Again visited the old country in 1873, and remained there until 1975. In 1880 he was elected for the Gwydir, and sat for that electorate until he resigned in 1886. He married in 1881 the youngest daughter of the late Sir Edward Deas-Thomson, C.B., K.C.M.G.
While in Parliament he took a great interest in the land question, and he was instrumental in stopping the large auction land sales proposed by the Robertson Ministry. The clause embodied in the Act limiting the area put up to auction owes in a great measure its existence to him. He was a strong supporter of the Stuart Ministry and their Land Bill. Mr. Campbell has been chieflyengaged in pastoral pursuits and he is a great admirer of all manly sports. He was captain of the first Parliamentary team in the Parliament v. Press cricket matches.”
The photograph of Mr. Campbell was included in the article.
While we don’t know why he resigned in 1886, it would appear he was still interested in politics and made the move to Legislative Council in 1890.
Campbell Bridge – 125th Anniversary (4-Nov-11) [Read more…] The Bridge finally opens The following extracts are from the report by the Bingera Correspondent, dated 8th November, which appeared in the Maitland Mercury & Hunter River Advertiser on 19th November 1886. The correspondent was present on the opening day and gives a very detailed account of proceedings;
Campbell Bridge – Technical Details (4-Nov-11)
There are two bridges at Bingara, the main bridge over the Gwydir River, (Campbell Bridge) and the smaller over Halls Creek. They are generally known collectively as ‘Campbell Bridge’.
Thomas Hartwell’s recollections (3-Nov-11) [Read more…] Thomas Hartwell worked on Campbell Bridge and supplied timber for its construction. His recollections of the bridge construction appeared in The Bingara Advocate, June, 26 1935. As you will see even he has the bridge opening details incorrect, which would seem very surprising as you would expect he was there for the opening.