Gwydir League shines on Friday night

April 19, 2013

On a very cold Friday night but in front of a crowd that paid $2,500 at the gate, Gwydir League took on Tingha in the Group 19 competition at the Warialda Recreation Ground.

A supporters’ bus organised by Gwydir League major sponsor, the Imperial Hotel, was appreciated by those who took advantage of the free transport.  Publican, Erik Ozols said a supporters bus will again be arranged when Gwydir plays in Warialda.

Despite trying their best against a team which is always hard to beat, the League Tag girls were defeated 50 to 8 by Tingha.

In the Reserve grade it didn’t take long before the Gwydir team took control with Steve Coleman and Sam Cooper scoring. The locals didn’t let up and Jay Fletcher raced over from dummy half.

The game turned into a dour struggle for the next 20 minutes and unfortunately Tingha started to take control and finally scored through their half back Nathan Fisher.

Aaron Rodilossi steadied the ship as half time approached to make the score 20 to 6 at the break following a Rocky Hall conversion.

The first 10 minutes of the second half was pretty steady before Andrew Wynne went over near the posts with Hall converting again.

Tingha’s Alex Walker couldn’t believe his luck when he intercepted a Gwydir pass and went over near the posts making the score 26 to 12.

A couple of silly penalties and Michael Curtis went over for the Tigers. At this stage the tide had turned the Tigers way but Caleb Austin took it upon himself and barged his way over.  Tingha didn’t lie down and a couple of late tries saw the final score 32 to 26 in favour of the locals.

Best were Jay Fletcher (until injured), Sam Cooper, Ron Hammond, Steve Coleman, Caleb Austin and Rocky Hall.

The first 10 minutes of the A grade game was a very torrid affair with no quarter given or taken before Harold Duncan scooted over out wide and Todd Simpson converting and a little while later David McGrady dodged and weaved his way through before putting a little grubber through for Luke Thom to dive on.

Ashley Churchland then took advantage of a great backline movement and raced over and then Nathan McGrady did the same off a neat inside pass from Matt Cleal.

Cleal was at it again when he cut straight through and gave Mitchell Porter an easy run to the line leaving the score 20 to 0 at half time.

Gwydir started with two quick tries in the second half to Porter and David McGrady. Tyler Dennison then did the same and with Simpson’s radar like kicks the score just kept mounting up.

Tingha finally had a bit of luck and Jayden Connors took advantage but this didn’t last long with Porter, Cooper and McGrady picking up tries. Tingha got a consolation try to make the final score 72 to 12. Everyone played well.